Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Love Story: Based on True Events


Here is my video. The idea started sometime last year when I was working at the Iowa City Senior Center and simultaneously reading Alain de Botton's book On Love. I started out with a very large idea. I wanted to interview all sorts of people about their relationships and create a documentary. That idea will take more time then I have so at the moment, I'm creating my own little love story. My video is meant to be very abstract. I wanted the man and the woman to be nondescript. I wanted everyone to be able to relate to the words that came out of the "couples" mouths. I wrote a script of common things said in relationships. They are things that I have said and have been said to me. What I've realized in this process is that everybody can identify with these phrases, making the words of love and perhaps even the feeling itself common. No one wants to feel like their relationship is common or indispensable, but so often they are. This video might be uncomfortable for many some to watch. Highlighting love in throw away sentences in such a throw away manner makes things look redundant and perhaps pointless.but we all keep searching for it.

 These are just my musings. Feel free to add to the conversation. I come from a divorced family and my parents have both gone through a series of unhappy relationships. Watching that sort of love and destruction definitely takes it toll on the thought of "love" verse marriage and functionality. 

I'm going to continue on with this project, adding in more men and seeing where they lead me. I use what I hear and I have no set directions as to how this little love story will turn out. But I am still the filter so ultimately, I make what I believe.

Final questions: How are relationships different and special if we all say the same things? And, how do we create special meaning in a territory so vastly constructed by media and tradition?

Done and done.

2 comments:

Chris Annis said...

I feel that your piece brought up a lot unspoken feelings between couples. It draws a dichotomy between spoken and unspoken vernacular that we utilize in our everyday lives.

meg f. said...

After reading your comments from the blog, your project became more clear. As for your final question... I think couples differ with the use of emotion. There are only soo many words to pronounce what you feel, however there are countless emotions which differ from couple to couple.