Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Pesonal Inventory




This project stemmed from a need to rid myself of the things I'd built up over time. When I was younger, I bought things as a way to pass the time. Now my money goes towards sustaining me rather then adorning. This past action of buying clothing and accessories not out of need but out of boredom is now a bit disgusting to me. But still, I have all these things I can't part with. So this inventory is an exploration of my accumulation. Through it, I hope to examine what I have, why I have it and why I can't get rid of it.

People had issues with the writing, saying it was too frivolous and I didn't seem aware of how unintelligent I sounded. Perhaps my writings didn't reflect well on my person? I think that is the whole point. Shopping is a mindless act to a large extent. The only thing that's inaccessible about the act is the funds to purchase. Otherwise, everyone can participate. I don't view this project as any form of flattery. In fact, it is quite the opposite. So why flatter myself in my writing? Why make it seem like these things are more then they are?

I don't know what I'm going to do with this project, but I'm going to keep going. It's the only self reflective thing I've ever made. If in the end this is a self portrait, then so be it.

No comments: